Friday, April 21, 2006

Reverse Causality by no other Means

"Granet tells the story of a certain duke of the Chou period of whom it was said that he failed to conquer China because at his death human beings were sacrificed to his ghost." (Salhins 2000: 517).

I was once accused of being myself. This happened during one of my previous break-ups. I learned back then that certain people believe that if they become friends with a couple, that upon the breaking of the pair, he/she must choose between the has-been partners. I believe that this has to do with the readiness of some to internalize anything at hand. This even includes the acrimonious exchange of two adults who are leaving the safe town of Coupledom and are about to jump of the love cliff to end it all.

Needless to say, more often the friends I make when I am dating someone choose the other person. I don't begrudge their choice; I just resent their attempts to reprimand me for doing exactly what I choose to do. I have even heard the I-knew-all-along-that-it-would-end-like-this statement. (I say: "O RLY?)

I am about to move into an apartment with my current girlfriend. If someone out there is prescient about this and is learned in the ways of Chou-period sages, how about letting me know how it is going to end. But if you don't have this ability, then I guess that I will have to make my own outcomes from front-to-back, from now-to-then.

I guess this strips me of the privilege of delaying the responsibility of my choices until I become a ghost. Otherwise, future sages could say that during his lifetime the girlfriends who left him, and the fact that friends he made as a couple always chose the other person was a function of the poor attendance at his funeral.

2 Comments:

Blogger pughd said...

My prediction:

She's too good for you, but will stick with you until you are old and stinky because of her big heart and your awesome friends that she would lose in the breakup.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Que-ni said...

Pugh? huh, is that mandarin or cantonese? I hear wisdom in your sageful words.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home